HYPOTHYROIDISM is a condition in which body does not produce sufficient thyroid hormone.
Hypothyroidism in women is more common than men. Thyroid issues, menopause and weight gain are often appear together.
Thyroid gland and production of thyroid hormone –Thyroid gland is located at the front of the neck. Its function is to take iodine from various foods and convert into thyroid hormones namely T3 and T4. These thyroid hormones are secreted into blood and are transported throughout the body to run the body’s metabolism i.e conversion of oxygen and calories into energy. Thyroid gland is under control of pituitary gland at the base of brain. When T3 and T4 levels drop the pituitary gland produces TSH i.e. thyroid stimulating hormone which stimulates thyroid gland to produce more T3 and T4.
Functions of thyroid gland –
Vital body functions like breathing, heart rate, CNS, body weight, muscle strength, menstruation, body temperature, cholesterol levels etc.
Causes of Hypothyroidism –
- Inflammation of thyroid gland by body’s own immune system- auto- immune thyroiditis, Hashimotos disease
- Surgical removal of thyroid gland
- Normal thyroid gland but problem in pituitary gland- secondary hypothyroidism
- As a side effect of certain medications which is very rare-like lithium.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism-
- Puffy face
- Dry hair
- Pale dry skin
- Hoarse voice
- Weight gain or difficulty in losing weight
- Hair loss
- Memory loss
- Cold intolerance
- Muscle cramps
- Mood swings
- Abnormal menses
- Decreased libido
Diagnosis of Hypothyroidism-
Measure the level of TSH and the level of the thyroid hormone thyroxine. A low level of thyroxine and high level of TSH indicate an underactive thyroid.
Treatment: Thyroid replacement therapy-
Standard treatment for hypothyroidism involves daily use of the synthetic thyroid hormone; levothyroxine (Levothroid, Synthroid, others). This oral medication restores adequate hormone levels, reversing the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism.
One to two weeks after starting treatment, you’ll notice that you’re feeling less fatigued. The medication also gradually lowers cholesterol levels elevated by the disease and may reverse any weight gain. Treatment with levothyroxine is usually lifelong, but because the dosage you need may change, your doctor is likely to check your TSH level every year.
Weight gain due to Hypothyroidism-
Weight gain is due to low metabolism. It is often not associated to excess fat accumulation it can be due to water and salt retention. Usually 10% of body weight is expected, but since weight gain it over a long period of time, it is difficult to experience significant weight loss.
In order to avoid this, healthy lifestyle changes should be made for healthy weight loss:
- Diet- Normally people do a lot of dieting, then feast and again fast. This decreases metabolic rate. So there should be a regular meal plan that balances protein to carbohydrates ratio. Restrict Junk food, aerated drinks, fried foods, sweet, bakery and salty foods
Eat salads, sprouts, steamed, baked and grilled items instead.
- Stress– It is another factor that affects the brain and thyroid functions resulting in more sweet cravings and simple carbohydrates to provide instant energy.
- Exercise– Regular exercise is essential very essential in hypothyroid .But normal exercise takes a lot of time for your body to warm up and reach a fat burning phase. It also produces lactic acid in your blood in the absence of oxygen. Because of this your body experiences muscle pain, soreness, fatigue, tiredness etc. In order to overcome this ,the modern technology for fat reduction and weight management options are at a high demand.
- Modern technology for weight reduction- Modern non- surgical technology like ION MAGNUM helps to achieve a very healthy fat loss.
- Reduction in visceral fat and subcutaneous fat
- Increase in muscle mass.
- This improves core muscle strength stamina and energy.
- It improves the metabolic rate.
- Weight loss is done without disturbing the muscle strength and water content of the body.
ION MAGNUM is an FDA approved nonsurgical scientific weight loss treatment. ION MAGNUM is extremely safe and has no side effects.
There are many techniques available in the market for weight loss. Be assured of the one you chose for yourself. Only a doctor understands your problems the best. Some clinic offers weight loss experts who are not doctors. Always check with a doctor before deciding on weight loss treatments.
Book a Free Consultation
MAY BE ALSO INTERESTED IN
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT